Swim's research addresses perceptions and responses to current social and environmental issues. She examines the impact of information, motivation (e.g., values, beliefs, and emotions), and behavioral skills on interest in information about climate change and engagement in pro-environmental behavior.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Causal Attribution
- Gender Psychology
- Intergroup Relations
- Interpersonal Processes
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Social Cognition
- Oyserman, D., & Swim, J. K. (Eds.). (2001). Stigma: An insiders view. Journal of Social Issues.
- Swim, J. K., & Stangor, C. (Eds.). (1998). Prejudice: The target’s perspective. New York: Academic Press.
- Bloodhart, B., & Swim, J. K. (in press). Equality, harmony, and the environment: An ecofeminist approach to understanding the role of cultural values on the treatment of women and nature. Ecopsychology.
- Mallett, R. K., Huntsinger, J. R., Sinclair, S., & Swim, J. K. (2008). Seeing through their eyes: When majority group members take collective action on behalf of an outgroup. Group Processes & Intergroup Relations, 11(4), 451-470.
- Sechrist, G. B., & Swim, J. K. (2008). Psychological consequences of failing to attribute negative outcomes to discrimination. Sex Roles, 59(1-2), 21-38.
- Swim, J. K., Mallett, R. K., Stangor, C., & Russo-Devosa, Y. (2005). Judgments of sexism: A comparison of the subtlety of sexism measures and sources of variability in judgments of sexism. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 29(4), 406-411.
- Swim, J. K., Pearson, N. B., & Johnston, K. E. (2007). Daily encounters with heterosexism: A week in the life of lesbian, gay and bisexual individuals. Journal of Homosexuality, 53, 18-31.
- Swim, J. K. (Chair), Clayton, S., Doherty, T., Gifford, R., Howard, G., Reser, J., Stern, P., & Weber, E. (2009). Psychology and global climate change: Addressing a multi-faceted phenomenon and set of challenges. A Report by the American Psychological Association’s Task Force on the Interface between Psychology and Global Climate Change.
- Swim, J. K., & Becker, J. C, Lee, E., & Pruitt, E. R. (2008). Sexism reloaded: Worldwide evidence for its endorsement, expression and emergence in multiple contexts. In H. Landrine & N. Russo (Eds.), Bringing diversity to feminist psychology. New York: Springer Publishing Company.
- Swim, J. K., & Hyers, L. L. (2008). Sexism. In T. D. Nelson (Ed.), Handbook of prejudice, stereotyping, and discrimination. Philadelphia, PA: Psychology Press.
- Advanced Research Methods in Psychology
- Advanced Social Psychology
- Applied Social Psychology
- Conservation Psychology
- Intergroup and Intragroup Relations
Department of Psychology
515 Moore Building
Pennsylvania State University
University Park, Pennsylvania 16802
- Phone: (814) 863-1730
- Fax: (814) 863-7002